Godstopper banner

Monday 23 July 2012

Chimp Spanner - All Roads Lead Here

I unapologetically post this knowing a LOT of people (especially those interested in the HC Punk Ewan has posted so far) will hate it. Chimp Spanner is one of those "guitar nerds alone in his bedroom" projects, not a million miles away from what Cloudkicker is doing. The main difference here is that, married to the nerdy poly-rhythmic djent thing, is a REALLY strong melodic influence. It reminds me of projects like Direwolf or even Nocturnus in places, with the synths and general futurism vibe. I cannot get the voice out of my head which keeps screaming "JOE SATRIANI" at me either, such is the use of ludicrously melodic, soaring guitar leads. Satriana is awesome though; I don't care what you think.

Anyway, so far this is my favourite album of the year. The three parts which make up Mӧbius are an absolute fucking masterpiece. Basick Records seem to be putting out a bunch of records like this (all via Bandcamp with options for physical too - bravo!). Some have atrocious emo-metal vocals which I cannot get on with, but the instrumental projects sound interesting. Worth exploring further, I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment